Thursday, November 09, 2006

FA Cup goes flying

Sunderland and QPR met in the old Division Two on May 9 1973, only four days after Sunderland had won the FA Cup, and the Mackems decided to parade the trophy around their ground, then Roker Park.

After the parade, the trophy was placed on a table at the side of the pitch, before Stanley Bowles ... well, let's hear it straight from the horse's mouth: "There were a couple of us who had a bet on who could knock it off the table with the ball first," he recalls. "With the ball at my feet I tear off straight across the park. Everyone on the pitch is just staring at me - and then, bang! The FA Cup goes shooting up in the air."

The whole ground knew that I'd done it on purpose - then the Sunderland fans go ape. They want my balls in their sandwiches. I wound up their fans even more by scoring a couple of goals and in the end there was a pitch invasion. At least I got my tenner, and my picture on News at Ten. And all because I was just having a bit of a laugh."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?