Saturday, April 28, 2007

The good doctor

26-year-old Northampton striker Kenny Deuchar has already mapped out his future after he hangs up his prolific boots.

"I was at Falkirk for four years, playing part-time and studying medicine full-time. I didn't see my friends much

"At the moment I'm concentrating on rheumatology, but I'll probably be a GP later on," the Scot said.

The 26-year-old is a qualified doctor, a fact made more public than Deuchar could have ever imagined thanks to Sky Sports presenter Jeff Stelling.

"On his Soccer Saturday programme," continues Deuchar, "he always calls me the 'Good Doctor' when I score. "I've met him twice and it was great, because to be fair he's done a lot for my career. There are so many people in England who have heard of me and that nickname has followed me around for ages now."

Deuchar has gone a long way to making a name for himself thanks to his goalscoring prowess, too. He led the attack for Gretna for three years and scored 66 goals in 82 starts, including a goal-a-game 41 in 2004-05 which included six hat-tricks, equalling Jimmy Greaves' British record of trebles in a season.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?