Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Ljungberg's career nearly wrecked by tattoos

Fredrik Ljungberg has revealed that a tattoo on his back nearly wrecked his career after becoming infected.

He underwent tests for Aids and cancer as doctors tried to establish the reason for his persistently inflamed hip.

After two weeks of examinations they realised that the player was experiencing a rare allergic reaction to the ink used in his tattoos.

Ljungberg, 28, a part-time model, had two tattoos of panthers on his back. The ink had caused a lymphatic gland to inflame, which was pressing on a nerve in his side - he had an operation to remove the gland.

Ljungberg admitted that he was terrified by the ordeal.

He said: “I was very worried. I did not feel sick or ill but, of course, I was injured and we did not know why. I was tested. Nobody seemed to know what was wrong with me. It all happened during a two-week period and, of course, I was terrified.

“Eventually the doctors worked out that it was something in the tattoos. I was relieved that they had found out the problem. I am fine now.”

He said that he had decided against having any more tattoos in case of further adverse reactions. The main risk from them is usually infection from hepatitis B or C, and Ljungberg’s case is extremely rare.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?