Saturday, June 16, 2007

Player sacked for swearing

Swearing in football can be a big deal when it's directed at the referee, but Geylang United's English striker Kim Grant discovered that things could be worse.

The former Charlton Athletic player has been sacked by the Singapore S-League club for swearing.

"Grant breached the rules when he used the language at the office in front of a few other players as well as other staff," Geylang general manager Ong Yeok Phee said.

"The vulgarity was targeted at the club... we felt it was unacceptable."

Grant has lodged an appeal with FIFA about the sacking: "I admitted it was an error and I apologised for it," said the 34-year-old.

"It is part of my culture and I did not say it to anyone's face. I looked down and exclaimed angrily. I did not think it would hurt anyone."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?