Tuesday, December 18, 2007

New England boss supported Germany in '66

England's new soccer boss Fabio Capello has a guilty secret... he supported Germany in the 1966 World Cup Final.

The former Real Madrid and AC Milan coach, who was 20 at the time, taunted his English cousin Giorgio Callighan throughout the tournament.

Mr Callighan, who played football with Fabio during visits to his Italian relatives as a teenager, revealed: "I took a lot of stick. I visited northern Italy many times as a child, but I only really got to know Fabio in 1966 when England were in the World Cup.

"All the Italians supported Germany against England at the time, including Fabio of course. I got a lot of stick because I was English.

"I don't think Fabio had anything against England. It was just that everyone in Italy supported the Germans because there were a lot of Italian players in the German league at the time."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?