Saturday, December 22, 2007

Blindfolded Arsenal

William Gallas organised a game between Arsenal's first team and the club's visually impaired side when he heard that the team existed as part of the club's community programme.

The first team wore blindfolds during the game, and used a ball equipped with a rattle.

"It was my idea," said Gallas.

"It was something I did with the French national team at Clairefontaine a couple of years ago and I found it a really good experience.

"Sometimes we forget how lucky we are, how fantastic a job we have. Sometimes we forget how lucky we are to have something as simple as our eyesight. When you see those kids play with such skill and precision, it's amazing."

The fact that all Arsenal's first team players took part in the game is a measure of how much respect Gallas commands as club captain.

"I didn't even mention it to the lads until after training," he said.

"I meant to say something beforehand but I forgot. Some players had appointments and other things to do, but they all stayed and gave their time to these kids. They were interested to see how it would be to be blind, or visually impaired, and try to play football. I don't know how they do it."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?