Sunday, May 25, 2008

Anelka blames miss on lack of warm-up

Nicolas Anelka added to Chelsea's woes last night when he made public his frustration at not being given a pivotal role in the team and claimed he had not been allowed to warm up properly before going on as a substitute at the Luzhniki Stadium.

"At no point did I think I was going to come on," he added.

"I was on the bench and suddenly I am asked to play, not even a minute after I was sent out to warm up. I don't know if that has ever happened in a Champions League final, that a player has gone on to the pitch without having warmed up.

"I was then asked to take one of the first five kicks but I said: 'That is out of the question; I have come on as a right-back.' So I had to go in seventh, but Van der Sar pushed away my shot. All the better for him; that is the game."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?