Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Football didn't interest me, says Walcott

Theo Walcott, the Arsenal forward, has revealed that he was not really interested in football as a child - and preferred athletics.

The 19-year-old, who has established himself in Fabio Capello's England team after scoring a hat-trick against Croatia last month, admitted it took time for him to become interested in the sport, adding that he began his career as a goalkeeper.

"Football did not really interest me until I was ten, I did not even know it existed, it was funny really," Walcott said.

"Athletics stood out for me when I was younger, I liked the 100 metres.

"When I did start playing football, I was in goal - and that was because I really loved the penalty shoot-outs, where I could save it and be the hero.

"Then I started playing for AFC Newbury, and scored more than 100 goals for them in just one season. It was basically just a long ball over the top and I would run on to it - I scored six in my first game.

"It was just natural for me, but although I was excited [after Southampton's interest], I was not really like, 'wow, I am going to be a professional footballer'.

"I just enjoyed playing and did not think I would be where I am now."


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?