Saturday, March 23, 2013

I was right to snub England - Rio defends himself during Qatar TV appearance


Rio Ferdinand has claimed that Roy Hodgson has told him he has a future with England.

Defending his decision to fly to Qatar and act as a TV pundit rather than travel with the squad to play San Marino, he said: ‘The manager made it very clear that he’ll consider me for the next squads and that will be fantastic.’

Speaking from Al Jazeera’s studios in Doha, where Ferdinand watched England's comfortable 8-0 demolition of their opponents, he said: ‘This isn’t something I’m doing differently. I know what I’m doing is right.’

Ferdinand also suggested English football needs radical reform if the national team is to succeed.

‘Maybe we need to go back to the drawing board and have a good look at ourselves from the bottom all the way to the top in terms of the coaching and the way we’re bringing our players through, how we’re preparing for tournaments.’

The United defender was the subject of derisive chants by England fans that attended the game.

Speaking before the game, the United star stood firm over his reasons for pulling out of the squad.

He said: 'I spoke to the manager and I think it's down to him. I met the boss in London and we spoke about my regime and what I’ve done at the last few international breaks.

'This is the same. I’ve been pencilled in to have certain treatments, had them then I’ve come away to have some rest time and to recuperate and get myself ready.

'I think obviously the situation with myself and the national team is well documented.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?