Friday, March 22, 2013

The only San Marino player ever to score against England


Just 8.3 seconds after San Marino kicked off their World Cup qualifier with England on 17 November 1993, Stuart Pearce's under-hit backpass allowed Davide Gualtieri to nip in and prod the minnows into the most unlikely of leads.

Tales that Scottish fans paid for his drinks on a night out when they came over for a European Championship qualifier against San Marino a couple of years later turned out to be an invention, but Gualtieri's brother did benefit from some Caledonian hospitality.

"Over here, nobody really knew what was going on but in England there was a big fuss," Gualtieri explained.

"Even now, some fans from around the world are always coming into my shop with pictures of me and shirts for me to sign.

"And, when my brother went to Scotland on holiday, they found out who he was and bought him drinks and a meal too. But that was my brother, not me."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?