Thursday, September 12, 2013

Shevchenko set for pro golf debut


Former Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko is set to make his professional golf debut at a Challenge Tour event in his native Ukraine this week.

Shevchenko has been handed a special invite for the event, the Kharkov Superior Cup, which is ranked just one tier lower than the full European Tour.

The 36-year-old, who retired from football last year, will be part of an experienced field which features three-time European Tour winner Nick Dougherty and former Ryder Cup player Oliver Wilson.

Shevchenko, who joined Chelsea from Milan in 2006, said: ‘This is the first big event for me and of course it is the first major professional tournament in Ukraine.

‘I have played with many good players in Pro-Ams but it’s very different out here. I’m looking forward to it and hope I play well but it’s my first event so I just want to have a good time and enjoy the week.’

The former European Player of the Year, who is a two-handicapper, added: ‘The course is quite difficult. I’m happy with my game at the moment and I’m really happy to be here. I know the President of the club, he is my good friend and his daughter has been caddying for me. He invited me to come and I had to.’

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?